National Superhero Day
2021 Annual General Meeting Notice
Hepatitis Queensland's Annual General Meeting (AGM) will take place online on Monday 25th October 2021,…Read Article
Team Spotlight: Rachael - Project Officer
Introducing the newest member of the Hepatitis Queensland team - Rachael. Rachael has recently come…Read Article
Team Spotlight: Winnie - Project Officer
Each month we’re featuring a member of the Hepatitis Queensland team so you can get…Read Article
Each year on April 28th, National Superhero Day brings people together to celebrate all their favourite superheroes.
We took a quick poll at Hepatitis Queensland to find out everyone’s favourite superhero.
Katelin (CEO): Lovely Lady Locks
Sam (Programs Manager): Iron Man
Winnie (Project Officer): Groot
Jeanette (Community Nurse): Spider-Man
Jessie (Digital Communications Officer): She-Ra, Princess of Power
The Liver Hero
While you would recognise many of these fictional superheroes, there are real-life heroes who we think should also be recognised.
The liver is an often under-appreciated hero working hard to keep your body functioning. Not only is it the largest organ inside your body, it also performs over 500 functions, such as:
- Filtering the good stuff that your body can use, and getting rid of the things that are of no use or are harmful (alcohol, toxins etc),
- Making and storing vitamins and minerals,
- Assisting in hormone production which helps to regulate our mental health
- Regulating your energy levels by storing and releasing sugars
- Producing the building blocks your body needs to make cells.
The best way to look after the hero inside, is to:
- Eat a well-balanced diet
- Exercise regularly
- Use alcohol responsibly
- Ask your GP for a liver check and hepatitis test.
For support and information on keeping your liver healthy, phone the Hepatitis Queensland InfoLine on 1800 437 222 or contact us online.