National Superhero Day
Our Innovate Reconciliation Action Plan
This Close the Gap day, Hepatitis Queensland is proud to announce the launch of our…Read Article
Team Spotlight: Angela - CEO
Welcome to our Team Spotlight Series, where we introduce you to one of our teams…Read Article
Hepatitis Queensland Welcomes New CEO
Last month Hepatitis Queensland (HQ) welcomed new Chief Executive Officer, Angela Uilderks. Angela will lead…Read Article
Each year on April 28th, National Superhero Day brings people together to celebrate all their favourite superheroes.
We took a quick poll at Hepatitis Queensland to find out everyone’s favourite superhero.
Katelin (CEO): Lovely Lady Locks
Sam (Programs Manager): Iron Man
Winnie (Project Officer): Groot
Jeanette (Community Nurse): Spider-Man
Jessie (Digital Communications Officer): She-Ra, Princess of Power
The Liver Hero
While you would recognise many of these fictional superheroes, there are real-life heroes who we think should also be recognised.
The liver is an often under-appreciated hero working hard to keep your body functioning. Not only is it the largest organ inside your body, it also performs over 500 functions, such as:
- Filtering the good stuff that your body can use, and getting rid of the things that are of no use or are harmful (alcohol, toxins etc),
- Making and storing vitamins and minerals,
- Assisting in hormone production which helps to regulate our mental health
- Regulating your energy levels by storing and releasing sugars
- Producing the building blocks your body needs to make cells.
The best way to look after the hero inside, is to:
- Eat a well-balanced diet
- Exercise regularly
- Use alcohol responsibly
- Ask your GP for a liver check and hepatitis test.
For support and information on keeping your liver healthy, phone the Hepatitis Queensland InfoLine on 1800 437 222 or contact us online.