About Hepatitis Queensland
Hepatitis Queensland: better liver health for ALL Queenslanders
Hepatitis Queensland is a values-driven and innovative community organisation that strives to improve the lives of Queenslanders affected by viral hepatitis and liver disease via education, collaboration, and person-centred care initiatives. Our vision is to see an end to viral hepatitis. We want to enable ALL Queenslanders to live free from the impact of viral hepatitis and liver disease.
What we do:
- Deliver projects that drive change in our communities
- Advocate through creating powerful, engaging content and resources
- Empower and educate the workforce to understand the challenges of living with viral hepatitis
- Deliver groundbreaking outreach programs that are curing people living with hepatitis C
- Employ a ‘think outside the box’ approach to breaking stigma and barriers associated with viral hepatitis
- Work to change public policies, attitudes and behaviours related to viral hepatitis and liver health
- Partner with governments, public and private sectors, and foster greater public awareness of the urgent issues surrounding viral hepatitis.
Hepatitis Queensland is an incorporated body, a registered charity, and has a tax-deductible status with the Australian Tax Office.
Our mission is to address stigma, improve the lives of those affected by viral hepatitis and meet emerging liver health challenges.
In 1995 a small group of people living with hepatitis C in Brisbane decided to form an organisation to assist others across the state.
Originally called the Hepatitis C Council of Queensland, the organisation set out to:
- facilitate hepatitis C support groups across the state,
- provide information to members of the public,
- help prevent transmission,
- raise public awareness of the disease and its medical and social ramifications,
- provide support and counselling to hepatitis C positive people and their significant others,
- provide information and education to primary health care workers, and,
- provide advocacy for those with an interest in hepatitis C
Jumping forward twenty-five years and while the treatment landscape may have changed, the organisation’s focus on viral hepatitis remains. Now called Hepatitis Queensland to recognise an inclusive focus on all types of viral hepatitis, we are still providing information, support and advocacy for people living with or at risk of viral hepatitis across Queensland.