Liver Health Check
Having a liver health checkup is nothing to be concerned about. Your doctor or nurse will ask a series of questions followed by a scan of your liver using a machine known as a FibroScan.
We’ve prepared some tips to help you prepare for your checkup and healthy living tips to keep your liver in tip-top shape.
On the day
- No food or liquids (including water) for 3 hours prior to appointment
- Arrive 10-15 minutes early
- Wear comfortable clothing (no dresses – shirt/top and pants/ skirt is fine)
- Your appointment will last about 30 minutes
What to expect
- A Fibroscan is used to measure fibrosis or stiffness in the liver.
- It is a non-invasive procedure that uses ultrasound technology to send a mechanical pulse (light tap)through the liver from the surface of the skin.
- 10 measurements are taken to give a true reading.
- Eating well: cut back on foods that are high in fat and sugar
- Getting active: try to get at least 30 minutes of exercise every day
- Feeling well: take care of yourself emotionally, spiritually and physically
- Drink aware: cut down on alcohol or try to stop altogether.
Love your liver
- Your liver is like a factory. It manufactures, stores and processes everything you put into your body.
- It breaks down food, alcohol, medicine and toxins.
- The liver performs over 500 functions and is the heavyweight in your body. You simply cannot live without it.
If you’re interested in hosting a liver health clinic at your medical practice, get in touch. Our community nurse will come to you and provide:
- Staff education
- Health promotion resources
- Patient support and education
- Access to a FibroScan machine with a qualified operator
To find out how our Community Nurse can assist your general practice please phone 07 3846 0020 or contact us online.