Liver Health Checks
Having a liver health check is a great way to make sure your liver is in tip top shape. Many liver diseases do not show obvious symptoms straight away so checking regularly can help prevent more serious issues later on.
A liver health check is nothing to be concerned about. Your liver health check will involve:
- Identifying your risk factors for liver disease
- Taking body measurements
- A liver scan using either a FibroScan or Ultrasound
- A blood test to check how your liver is functioning
- Discussing any recommended lifestyle changes
- A referral to a specialist (if needed)
Here are some tips to help you prepare for your check-up:
On the day
- No food or liquids (including water) for 3 hours prior to appointment
- Arrive 10-15 minutes early
- Wear comfortable clothing (no dresses – shirt/top and pants/ skirt is fine)
- Your appointment will last about 30 minutes
A Fibroscan is a machine that uses ultrasound technology to measure stiffness or fat in the liver. It uses ultrasound technology to send a mechanical pulse through the liver from the surface of the skin.
Having a FibroScan is non-invasive and doesn’t hurt. You will feel a few taps on your body, above where your liver sits.
Your results will show if you have any liver damage. Your doctor will talk through your results with you.
If you’re interested in hosting a liver health clinic at your medical practice, get in touch. Our community nurse will come to you and provide:
- Staff education
- Health promotion resources
- Patient support and education
- Access to a FibroScan machine with a qualified operator
To find out how our Community Nurse can assist your general practice please phone 07 3846 0020 or contact us online.