Have you checked in with your liver lately?
We all have a liver, and it’s quite important, but how often do we really think about it?
Your liver is like a factory. It manufactures, stores and processes everything you put into your body. It breaks down food, alcohol, medicine and toxins.
The liver performs over 500 functions and is the heavyweight in your body. You simply cannot live without it.
Are you at risk?
Major causes of chronic liver disease:
- Heavy alcohol use
- Hepatitis B and hepatitis C
- Fatty liver
Things that can increase your chance of serious liver disease
- Older age
- Co-infection with HIV
Tips to look after your liver
You can take several steps to keep your liver healthy, whether or not you have existing liver disease.
- Limit alcohol – no more than 2 standard drinks per day with 2 alcohol-free days per week
- Eat a healthy well-balanced diet
- Maintain a healthy body weight and get regular exercise
- Ask about the potential impact of medication and drug use on your liver
- Get vaccinated against hepatitis A and hepatitis B
Infoline: 1800 437 222