- This event has passed.
Strengthening Testing and Management in HIV, VH, and STIs
27 March, 2019 @ 5:30 pm - 9:00 pm
This update will provide clinical staff with an opportunity to improve testing and management of Blood Borne Viruses and STIs in the primary care setting.
Understand which patients to opportunistically test for HIV and STIs, confidently initiate conversations about sexual health, identify and interpret diagnostic tests for Hepatitis B and C, understand the phases of disease, and learn how to manage patients according to best practice guidelines.
For more information, please click here to download the course flyer
This course will give primary care practitioners in Western Queensland the knowledge with which to screen at-risk patients, accurately diagnose infection, assess phases of disease, treat and monitor patients, appropriately refer to specialist care, and improve health outcomes for those living in the region.
At the end of this course, participants should be able to:
- Identify appropriate patients to opportunistically test for HIV and STIs and demonstrate increased confidence initiating conversations about sexual health
- Manage patients according to recommended treatment guidelines for common STIs.
- Order and interpret serology for hepatitis B
- Use the ‘Decision Making in HBV’ laminate to determine which phase of disease a patient is in and how this effects their management
- Identify priority populations for hepatitis C testing and order and interpret diagnostic tests appropriately
- Manage and monitor people with chronic hepatitis C, including staging of liver disease and lifestyle modifications as needed
This course is funded by Queensland Health.